Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has allergies and I think he hit a door on the left

Customer Question

My dog has allergies and I think he hit a door on the left side of his face that eye is red and swollen underneath it has a slight grayish tint what should I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Do you think the eyeball looks bigger on the left then the right?
When you say grey tint, do you mean you are seeing a haze or cloudiness on the clear corneal covering of the eye?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hope this picture helps. A though you can't see it in the picture, there is a slight cloudyness on the eye itself near the center.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
Now I agree that head trauma is highly suspect here but I do suspect he has caught the eye as well. The grey cloudiness is what we call corneal edema and it is the way the cornea swells in response to trauma (which can be a sign of any trauma from subtle abrasion, ulceration, or even gouge to the cornea). And while the photo isn't easy to interpret, I am concerned there is a crescent moon looking defect just at the border of the corneal edema.
In this case, you will unfortunately limited in what you can do at home. Ideally, we want his vet to start him on dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc) to reduce swelling of the face and his general discomfort. Furthermore, since eyes are just so delicate, we'd want the cornea checked/stained to appreciate the severity of damage. If mild, he may just need topical treatment but if severe, we sometimes need to surgically place conjunctival grafts to facilitate their healing. So, since he is sore and we have signs of damage to the eye, this is an urgent situation that we would want examined by his local vet.
In the meantime, if he will allow you to, you can cool compress the side of his face to reduce soreness and swelling for him. Otherwise, if you are seeing any discharge or material in the eye (ie dirt, dust, pus, etc), then you can flush his eye with cool saline (ie OTC plain contact lens solution, first aid eye wash). As well, you can soothe the eye in the short term with plain artificial tears (avoid any that are made to "take the red out" since the drugs used are not safe for dogs) like Viscotears, Lacrilube, etc. This will just soothe inflammation until this can be checked.
Overall, with the facial swelling as well, trauma to more likely then emergency issues like glaucoma. But in this case, if we have corneal edema, then we would be best to have this checked to make sure the eye is not dangerous compromised. And when doing so, we can get some treatment for his facial discomfort and to settle this for him.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Chad,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Truman. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
has apt with vet MondayChad
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the update Chad,
That sounds like a good plan and hopefully it will already be showing good healing by the time he is seen.
Take care,
Dr. B.