Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I think my foster dog chewed

Customer Question
on a tube of tolnaftat...
I think my foster dog chewed on a tube of tolnaftat. She got out of her crate while I was at work. She vomited once. Mostly clear with white goo in it. No blood or bile. I gave her some water which has stayed down so far but she's very subdued. Gums are pink. The tolnaftate tube expired in August of 2010. I'm just wondering if I should take her to the emergency vet or wait til tomorrow & take her to her regular vet. She's a Belgian Malinois with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. I'm guessing she's around 11-12 years of age. Recent bloodwork showed no areas of concern.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
I don't have a day to wait for the answer. Forget it. Refund my money. I'll take her to the emergency clinic now.
6/16/2015
Dog Specialist: VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech replied 2 years ago
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your dog.
The active ingredient (tolnaftate) generally has a very wide margin of safety, even when ingested. The cream itself may cause some mild tummy upset, vomiting, and diarrhea, but this is typically easily managed at home.
Mild vomiting is managed at home by withholding food and water for an hour after you see vomiting (if you see vomiting), then slowly reintroducing small amounts of water for an hour, then slowly reintroducing small amounts of food. The diarrhea can be addressed by starting him on a bland diet of cooked white rice or plain boiled chicken breast for 2-3 days.
When packaging is swallowed in smaller amounts it usually passes pretty easily, but it is a good idea to add a bit of bulk to their diets in the form of whole wheat bread or plain canned pumpkin to push any ingested packaging through the GI tract and into the stool. Be on the lookout for it to come out.
Blockage from the package/tubee would be the more serious side effect of this, and if it's NOT passing through, we might see profuse vomiting, lethargy, restlessness/abdominal pain, straining to defecate, not wanting to eat or drink, and pale gums. If you are seeing any of the above signs, this is when you need to get in to a clinic. Usually they occur within that 2-3 day period.
I would not be concerned about anything life-threatening or long-term from this.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to hit "reply" to get back with me!
My apologies for the delay - in the evening sometimes it takes a little bit longer to find someone, and I did not see you had posted ahead of me in the chat before I answered. Would you like me to send this to customer service for a refund?
Dog Specialist: James-cssm,
 replied 2 years ago
James-cssm
Hi Elizabeth,
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. http://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/95c8e-think-foster-dog-chewed-tube-tolnaftat.html#. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
VetTechErin
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech