Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog goes not want to sit down

Customer Question
my dog goes not want to sit down
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
He is playful and is eating but does not want to sit. He lays down and does not appear uncomfortable until he is asked to sit for a treat. He will squat but will not sit. He has had a bowel movements. I noticed this started Saturday 6/13 evening but thought he was sore from running.
6/16/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 3 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
Has he ever scooted his rear on the ground?
Is he keeping his tail down?
Has he had a bath recently or gone swimming?
Is the rectal area swollen?
No he has not scooted or keeping his tail down. he was swimming 9 days ago in a pool and his rectal area is not swollen.
JaCustomer,
Thanks for the additional information. I'm glad to hear that he hasn't been scooting and the rectal area is not swollen. Usually when a dog will not sit, it indicates an issue in the anal gland region, the tail itself or a spinal issue in the area.
With an anal gland issue, there is usually swelling in the rectal area. The glands are at the 4 and 8 o'clock position in relation to the rectum. Dogs will often lick excessively and might even have an odor in the area. You don't indicate any of those issues but let me give you information on them just in case.
http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html
There is a condition "cold tail" that Labradors, English Pointers, English Setters, Foxhounds and Beagles sometimes get which causes them to not sit down and usually to hold their tail close to the body. It generally happens after a swim or bath. You can read about it here.
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/coldtail.html
http://www.thelabradorclub.com/oldsite/cold.htm
The other problem is a issue with the discs in the sacrum which might be causing discomfort. Imaging would need to be done to rule that out. Now if he had injured a hip or pulled a muscle in the hip or thigh he might also be reluctant to sit, but I would think you would notice some sort of lameness with that.
You might check the anal glands, then try lifting the tail to see if there is discomfort there. If there isn't, then you may just want to have him seen by your vet for imaging or an antifinflammatory medication.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ollie. How is everything going?