Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog just rammed his head on a wood fence then came in an…

Customer Question
My dog just rammed his...
My dog just rammed his head on a wood fence then came in an vomited a little pile of bright red blood. I saw some in his nose is it possible that he got a nose bleed and just gagged out the blood. He drank water after he is acting normally. Gum color is good. Just don't want to run to er vet prematurely
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/16/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Kane and his accident. I am happy to help you this evening. Thank you for the information and good job watching him so closely. If he continues to act normal and have good gum color and doesn't continue vomiting blood or acting differently then it is perfectly acceptable to monitor him. It is most likely that the vomit you saw is a result of the blood from his nose draining down his throat and into his stomach causing the vomiting. Just like humans they can get bloody noses from trauma and this should resolve itself. Blood in the stomach can cause vomiting. Glad to hear he is acting normally and is drinking water. Again he likely vomited as a result of the blood so watch closely. If he continues to vomit or have bleeding or acts different such as confused or lethargic have him seen by your vet tonight. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Hi Sara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kane. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead