Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I was out a couple of days ago with my border terrier

Customer Question
hi jane, i was out...
hi jane, i was out a couple of days ago with my border terrier poppy who is on heat, so i keep her on her lead but a jack russel came from nowhere and started to hump her for literally no more than 3 seconds before i grabbed poppy and picked her up, do u think its likely that she could be pregnant? i really hope not, thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/15/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now we would usually expect the intercourse to last a bit longer and end in a tie (where the dogs get stuck together post ejaculation). Still, just like in people, we can see pregnancies even when the act doesn't appear to have been completed. So, if he managed to initiate intercourse, then there is a risk for Poppy.
Therefore, if you wish to play it safe in this case and avoid any risk of pregnancy for Poppy, I would note that there are a few options. You can of course have her urgently spayed to remove her uterus and in doing so remove the potential for any pregnancy here and in the future.
Otherwise, you can have her seen by her vet for treatment with an injection of Alizin (this is give twice 24 hours apart). This is a drug that will terminate any pregnancy up until day 45. Of course, its best to use as soon as possible in these situations (since later stage use can lead to them having to go into labor to abort the puppies).
Overall, there is always a risk of pregnancy in these situations. Therefore, if we don't want her to be pregnant, then we'd want to use one of these options urgently to ensure that even if he did get her pregnant, that we nip this in the bud.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )