Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My toy poodle has watery stools what can i give her maybe its…

Customer Question
my toy poodle has watery...
my toy poodle has watery stools what can i give her maybe its from the hamberger and gravy i gave her i usually give her chicken and rice
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/14/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
If you did give Molly cooked hamburger with gravy, then this could quite possibly have been too rich for her and triggered her diarrhea.
In regards ***** ***** at this stage, we'd want to start by taking some supportive care steps to slow and settle her diarrhea. First, you can try a light/easily digestible diet. Boiled chicken and rice is fine and can be restarted for her. Otherwise, safe alternatives include rice/pasta/boiled potato with either boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients in and result in less diarrhea. Also feed this as small frequent meals to further decrease the volume of diarrhea she is producing.
Further to this, as long as you have not seen blood in her stools, you can consider trying her today on a dog safe anti-diarrheals. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if her diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require antibiotics, parasites or protozoa will require anti-parasitic treatment, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are:
*Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx) or
* PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate/page1.aspx )
Both are available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Fast Balance, Propectalin, or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vet practices) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and the last three have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI which can help if this was due to the food you gave. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe her upset GI.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you : )