Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is restless and doesn't want to sit and won't let you…

Customer Question
my dog is restless and...
my dog is restless and doesn't want to sit and won't let you lift her tail. it obvious there is some pain. should I give her tramadol or rimidyl?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/14/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 3 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
It may be that she injured her tail, so you will want to check her tail over well. You can make a temporary muzzle to allow you to examine her rear area. See instructions here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8CwNyfaU3g
She could also have a problem with her anal glands which will cause a dog to hold their tail down as well. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. If your dog has been licking her anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.
Excellent site on anal glands
http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html
There is a condition "cold tail" that Foxhounds and Beagles and other breeds sometimes get which causes them to hold their tail close to the body. You can read about it here.
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/coldtail.html
http://www.thelabradorclub.com/oldsite/cold.htm
It is possible that this is what you are seeing with your dog. With cold tail it sometimes takes up to 2 weeks for the tail to recover. Some owners feel the administration of anti-inflammatory medication aid in a faster recovery.
Dog's have sebaceous glands and perianal glands at the base of their tails. Sometimes, these glands can become clogged and swollen. A warm compress on the spot and cleaning with Benzyl peroxide gel may help with the problem. I would also use some Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream on the area as well. Dogs with this swelling of the sebaceous gland may have a problem with hypothyroidism or a hormonal imbalance, so I would suggest you have your dog seen by your vet if you do not see improvement.
As for treatment, warm compresses are often done and anti-inflammatory medications like rimadyl can be used. I can not legally tell you to use ANY prescription medication for your dog without you notifying your own vet. Tramadol is used for dogs but doesn't have the anti=inflammatory properties that the rimadyl does.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Hi Kerri,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dutchess. How is everything going?