Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a shizsu cossed with a westie and when he was a pup…

Customer Question
I have a shizsu cossed...
I have a shizsu cossed with a westie and when he was a pup i had to take him to the vet cause he couldnt pooh and she had to get it out with her finger.I have had him out today and he cried whilsttrying to pooh i dont want him getting like he did last time what can i do to help him.I do cut round his bottom to keep it clear of fur.I also feed him chicken sometimes with rice cause he wont touch dog food i keep trying but he wont.Hes 7month old.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/14/2015
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 3 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years.

It sounds like he may be constipated if he is having trouble going to the bathroom. You can try adding some pure canned pumpkin to the diet daily as this is a good source of fiber. I would give a teaspoon in the am and one in the pm.

I would try to change his diet to regular canned dog food as just chicken is not enough for the dogs needs. Rice is also a food that binds them up which my cause constipation. Canned dog food has a good amount of water in it unlike dry kibble and this should also help with constipation.

If the pup does not go soon then you will want to make sure there is not an obstruction of the bowel which would be serious and require surgery.

Here is more on constipation and causes as well as treatments http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/constipation-in-dogs