Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 71 pound Rottweiler puppy just ate a bottle of hip flex

Customer Question

My 71 pound Rottweiler puppy just ate a bottle of hip flex vitamins
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she have this?

What was in the vitamin and what milligrams/strength?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure how long ago. I was asleep and when I woke up there was an empty bottle. It is level one hip flex. It has 50g of glucosamine, 250 mg of msm, 100mg of dark cherry blend, 12000 mug of omega 3, and 2600 mcg of omega 6. The omegas come from flaxseed
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, Crystal.

Now the good news is that joint supplements of this nature are used with dogs quite regularly. Furthermore, these components all have a very large safety margin. Therefore, we'd not be overly worried of severe issues from this and if anything could just see some GI upset (appetite loss, vomiting) and diarrhea (since it is a large dose of oils here).

Therefore, since we do not have a time of ingestion and because these are all fairly safe components, our main focus here will be supportive care at this stage. With this potential GI upset in mind, you may just want to offer a light diet option for the next few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). These can be fed as small frequent meals, you can add fiber (ie tinned pumpkin) to bulk up any loose stools, and after a few days she can be slowly weaned back to her own diet.

Further to this, we can also cover her with an antacid to keep her stomach as settled as possible. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this is not an overly toxic ingestion for her and if anything we could see some upset in her GI while this runs through her system. Therefore, we'd just want to monitor at this stage and use the above to keep her stomach settled.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Crystal,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

nekovet