Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I've got a 6- month old puppy, who today, seemed to be

Customer Question
Hi, I've got a 6- month...
I've got a 6- month old puppy, who today, seemed to be unable to keep anything down; eating grass, and throwing that up. What can I do for her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/13/2015
Dog Specialist: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your question regarding your 6 month old girl who has had ongoing vomiting today. As you can imagine, there are a number of possible causes for these symptoms including anything from a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything around your home or yard she could get into), to an acute gastroenteritis, or even parvo virus (hopefully your girl is up to date with her vaccinations).

If she is still constantly vomiting and not drinking a lot - then the worry is that she could quickly become dehydrated. If this is the case, then you are best getting her seen at your local ER Vet now if at all possible. In the meantime, do try and encourage her to drink if you can. If she isn't so interested, you could try enticing her with a warm chicken broth (just boil up some chicken, scoop off the solids and feed her the warm soup).

For now, keep a close eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the day, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your girl. I would recommend with holding food for now, but try and encourage her to drink something as mentioned above. You may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose is 0.25mg per pound of body weight twice daily and you can read more about the use of pepcid in dogs here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

She is up to date with her shots, and is scheduled to be spaid, on Monday. She's been REAL itchy for the last week, and ive been dosing her with the appropriate dose of.baby benadryl....

She's sleepy, but then its normally the time she.does sleep.

I think she's a little dry, but cap refill is ok.

If she vomits again, I'll take her to the.er.....

I don't have kids...so my little one has me worried.

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear her capillary refill time is fine. Definitely try and encourage her to drink now if you can. As you say, if she vomits again and can't keep this water down, definitely get her straight down to your local ER Vet.

See how she goes for the next little while. Hopefully she improves - if not, down to your local ER Vet.

Best of luck and let me know how you get on. Don't forget to rate this when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E
Hi again Gretchen,

I hope Dolce is doing better today. Did you need to get her down to your local ER vet in the end?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian