Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have an eight months old yellow lab. past two months

Customer Question
I have an eight months...
I have an eight months old yellow lab. For the past two months since I got her we have regularly played fetch with tennis balls. I throw one pretty far with a "chuckit". She'd run full out and bring it back. She really loves this game. During the last week after a couple throws she runs for the ball then stops, looks at me and flops down and just looks at me with the ball in her mouth. If I walk down to her she gets all excited for another throw. If I turn my back and just go inside she'll just lay there for about 10 minutes and then come to the door (with the ball). I just don't get it Why does she do that when she really wants to run and fetch
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/13/2015
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 3 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
What is the temperature change been like since this started?
If you call her will she come to you?
Do you ever chase her with the ball?
When was her health last checked?
Yes the weather has changed. It is gone from cooler spring weather to warm her/hotter summer weather
She will not come if I call her or if I waive the ball thrower stick. But she's not very good at coming yet anyway. She comes around the house but when she's at the dog park she usually won't listen anyway. She does come once I go inside but not when I CallI never chase her or threaten her with the ball and she has regular check ups as a puppy almost monthly or health is fine and her mental health is fine she's just a loving adorable dog
I was thinking that maybe it's that she gets hotter faster. Because the ball does get thrown a good 30 to 4030 yards and she does run full out to get it and run full out back. She used to go I was thinking that maybe it's that she gets hotter faster. Because the ball does get thrown a good 30 to 4030 yards and she does run full out to get it and run full out back. She used to go 5 to 10 rounds before she would start trotting and now she just plops down after two rounds
Thank you for that information. It could have something to do with the weather as they get a bit more winded sooner in the hotter weather than they would in spring months.
One other thing I would worry about is possible hip dysplasia which can be seen anywhere from 4 months and up. If you notice any bunny hopping when she runs that would be a good sign. Or if she sways or swaggers when she walks that is another sign. Dogs with this will suddenly show exercise intolerance.
The next thing to look at is age. She is at an age where testing comes into play. She may be wanting you to chase her so she waits, but it is great that you walk away and go inside.
I would do some clicker training with her and get her firm on recall and see if that works. If you are not familiar with this I will direct you to sites. She is at an age also where outside distractions are going to be more important than you are, so it is vital to get her started training on commands. When training start in the least distracting environment such as inside the home, then when you get to more distracting places you up the ante of reward for her coming to you. In the home you can use cheerios, outside in the yard use hot dog slivers (very small) and when you get to the dog park very small chicken pieces.
I would keep an eye out for any other possible medical problems, ticks are out and they can cause diseases that affect the joints so that is another worry. Try to jot down any changes in behavior through the day to compare and see if there is any similarities. For instance does she suddenly take her time walking up steps, or is she jumping on furniture less, etc.
Hopefully all of this is just her growing more independent and can be easily fixed with some training:)
Clicker training/positive method training/ print off
http://www.clickerlessons.com/
video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm
I think you're right I think she just got to the age where she's testing us. There is nothing wrong with a run or a walk. We just went outside in the cool evening and I threw the ball about 20 yards she ran and got it turned around looked at me stood there for about a minute and then just plop down and kept looking at me I think you're right I think she just got to the age where she's testing us. There is nothing wrong with a run or a walk. We just went outside in the cool evening and I threw the ball about 20 yards she ran and got it turned around looked at me stood there for about a minute and then just plop down and kept looking at me. I walked inside and after a few minutes she came and wanted to run again
That sounds about right. Try the training, Labs love to eat so that is a big help!
Hi Bobbi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lexie. How is everything going?
Sally G.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello it seems you want to speak with me in person. I will send you our special service. From there we can set up a time. I am in Central time, I am not sure which time zone you are in.