Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has red irritated lips and what could it be? She also has diarrhea.

Customer Question
My dog has red irritated...
My dog has red irritated lips and butt what could it be? She also has diarrhea.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/12/2015
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 3 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years. I will be happy to assist you today.

Can you tell me what you mean by irritated lips?

Is the dog scooting along the floor?

How long has the diarrhea been a problem and how long have you given pumpkin?

did you change the diet?

She ha redness on her upper lip like its chapped
We gave her pumpkin and pepto last night because she had diarrhea over a day
She's only licking and scooting herself to get poop off
Thank you Jessica,
Is she actually rubbing the lip or scratching at it?
The diarrhea may be contributing to the anal problem as when the stool is too soft then the anal sacs don't break open with a bowel movement so they fill up and usually the dog scoots to try to break them open. Adding fiber to the diet such as cooked white rice and pumpkin can help.
Try fasting her for a day also, she can have water, then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice. If her intestinal tract is inflamed then this will help.
If her lips are cracking like chapped she could have something missing in the diet. try adding omega fatty acids to the food such as fish oil tabs or coconut oil. Start this once the intestines settle down.
here is how to give coconut oil www.sitstay.com/blog/coconut-oil-for-dogs
However if they are sores that are not seeming to heal then see your vet