Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 14 lb. dog just swallowed a Nexium. Should I be concern

Customer Question

My 14 lb. dog just swallowed a Nexium. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

What was the milligrams of the Nexium?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

10 minutes ago.. 22.3 milligrams

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, Linda.

Now the good news here is that Nexium is a drug that we do use in dogs on occasion and tends to be well tolerated by dogs. The only caveat to that is that she has had quite a high dose for her weight. So while adverse signs are uncommon, Daisy would have the risk of developing those if she had this whole tablet. Specifically, we can see this drug cause nausea, vomiting, belly cramps, increased gas, and diarrhea at high doses.

Therefore, in this situation, you do have a few options. Since she has just eaten this so recently, we can choose to err on the side of caution by inducing vomiting (How To) at this point to get the tablet back out of her system. Otherwise, we could also or alternatively administer activated charcoal (How To) to limit her absorption of this drug and limit adverse effects.

Finally, since this does tend to be quite well tolerated and the adverse signs are GI based, you can consider monitoring her for the next 12-24 hours and offering symptomatic care as needed. And with this potential GI upset in mind, you may just want to offer a light diet option for the next few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). These can be fed as small frequent meals and after a few days she can be slowly weaned back to her own diet.

Overall, this is not an outright poisoning but Daisy has had quite a high dose. Therefore, since she only just had this, we can use the above to retrieve or block absorption of the tablet. But otherwise, since this does tend to be well tolerated, you can choose to monitor and treat if she has any stomach upset from this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )