Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My yorkie was fine last night on a nice walk came home went…

Customer Question
my yorkie was fine last...
my yorkie was fine last night on a nice walk came home went on the couch and didn't want to play or anything. Walks gingerly today and is having hard time barking or speaking.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/10/2015
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 3 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.
Is there any chance Jax injured himself during the night?
Does he jump onto or off of things?
Any new foods/treats?
Is he eating/drinking/urinating/defecating normally?
It's possible yes he jumps on and off couch and no new treats and he is going to bathroom
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.
Sounds to me like your pup may have stepped or jumped wrong and twisted that leg during the walk or later, at home. Of course, without being able to see the dog in person and take an x-ray, it's pretty much impossible to tell if it's a simple sprain or something more serious. In cases of leg injuries in dogs, especially toy breeds, I always recommend seeing your regular vet just to be on the safe side, and luckily you've already planned that.
That being said, until you can get him in to see a vet later this afternoon, I suggest doing your best to keep him quiet. No running around, definately no dog park, just outside on a leash to go potty and then back inside. If he's used to being in a kennel/crate, you can keep him in there in an effort to keep him from jumping up on couches or running up and down stairs.
Hopefully this is just a little sprain or strain that will resolve with rest, anti-inflammatories and time.
I hope this helps