Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog got bit by another dog at the vet. It was washed immediately by the vet staff…

Customer Question
Hi. My dog got...
Hi. My dog got bit by another dog at the vet. It was washed immediately by the vet staff and he was started on clavamox. This was Friday. He seemed to be great yesterday and the swelling was gone now it's all swollen again and his temp is 103.6. He still wants to play and he's eating BUT he's normally very hyper and of course isn't as much now
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/9/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Oscar.
Well, here's my primary concern. Even if antibiotics were started, including a good antibiotic like clavamox, it is still quite possible for the bite wound to get infected. The temperature is too high. Any persistent temperature over 103.0, especially for a dog who has been a rest, warrants more immediate veterinary care.
If swollen again, there is a chance that it is now developing an abscess. Therefore, the wound may need to be flushed out and a drain placed to remedy the problem.
Wish we could do more, but he really needs to get back in to a vet as soon as possible. I would not wait longer than 24 hours to address this new concern.
Very sorry for all this complication. Sometimes, despite starting antibiotics and doing wound cleaning, the bites can still cause problems.
Good Luck
I had keflex here that he was on before for a different issue but then the antiobitoc was changed. Is it ok to continue to give it to him along with the clavamox? I will call the vet first thing in the morning. I just don't want things to get worse.
No, not worth giving. The clavamox is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. Adding the keflex likely would be of no additional benefit.
The key to treatment now is the recheck appointment to reassess the wound.
Another test that might be worth discussing with your vet is if there is pus identified in the wound, a culture should be performed. The culture and sensitivity test would tell the vet would bacteria(s) are present and the best antibiotic choices to kill it.
Thank you. I will call as soon as they open. Do you think he will be ok tonight? I have emergency vets close by but I don't know if I'm at that point.
It's swollen again and his temperature is over 103.0.
So, from my point of view, which is only on the other side of a computer screen, I have to vote for the ER visit.
Wish I could know for sure he would be okay waiting, but I am not certain.
Thank you. I'll take him now.
Good Luck!
I think its a smart move to get him more comfortable sooner!
I called the emergency vet to let them know I was coming. They told me I could come but they thought it could wait until
Morning since he's on antiobitocs and also had vaccinations on Friday. I don't know what to do.
Not sure I agree with that assessment.
At the minimum, keep track of the temperature. If it is climbing at all, get in right away.
Dr. Andy, Medical Director