How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Andy Your Own Question
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 30036
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Andy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog got bit by another dog at the vet. It was washed immediately by the vet staff

Customer Question

Hi. My dog got bit by another dog at the vet. It was washed immediately by the vet staff and he was started on clavamox. This was Friday. He seemed to be great yesterday and the swelling was gone now it's all swollen again and his temp is 103.6. He still wants to play and he's eating BUT he's normally very hyper and of course isn't as much now
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Oscar.
Well, here's my primary concern. Even if antibiotics were started, including a good antibiotic like clavamox, it is still quite possible for the bite wound to get infected. The temperature is too high. Any persistent temperature over 103.0, especially for a dog who has been a rest, warrants more immediate veterinary care.
If swollen again, there is a chance that it is now developing an abscess. Therefore, the wound may need to be flushed out and a drain placed to remedy the problem.
Wish we could do more, but he really needs to get back in to a vet as soon as possible. I would not wait longer than 24 hours to address this new concern.
Very sorry for all this complication. Sometimes, despite starting antibiotics and doing wound cleaning, the bites can still cause problems.
Good Luck
Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had keflex here that he was on before for a different issue but then the antiobitoc was changed. Is it ok to continue to give it to him along with the clavamox? I will call the vet first thing in the morning. I just don't want things to get worse.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
No, not worth giving. The clavamox is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. Adding the keflex likely would be of no additional benefit.
The key to treatment now is the recheck appointment to reassess the wound.
Another test that might be worth discussing with your vet is if there is pus identified in the wound, a culture should be performed. The culture and sensitivity test would tell the vet would bacteria(s) are present and the best antibiotic choices to kill it.
Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I will call as soon as they open. Do you think he will be ok tonight? I have emergency vets close by but I don't know if I'm at that point.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
It's swollen again and his temperature is over 103.0.
So, from my point of view, which is only on the other side of a computer screen, I have to vote for the ER visit.
Wish I could know for sure he would be okay waiting, but I am not certain.
Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I'll take him now.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Good Luck!
I think its a smart move to get him more comfortable sooner!
Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I called the emergency vet to let them know I was coming. They told me I could come but they thought it could wait until
Morning since he's on antiobitocs and also had vaccinations on Friday. I don't know what to do.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Not sure I agree with that assessment.
At the minimum, keep track of the temperature. If it is climbing at all, get in right away.
Dr. Andy