Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate Raid Ant Baits

Customer Question
my dog ate Raid Ant Baits
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/8/2015
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 3 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. The original expert you asked for is no longer here. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you to day.
Raid ant traps have very little in them in the way of toxicity.The baits usually contain inert ingredients such as peanut butter, breadcrumbs, sugar and vegetable or animal, which could be attracting to pets. The avermectin is not toxic to dogs and is not going to cause him problems.
The bigger problem comes from the actual trap itself. If the trap is eaten then you have to worry about an obstruction of the bowel because it may not pass through. IF the dog chewed it into smaller pieces then it will likely go through the intestines.
But you want to watch for sudden lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea or change in stool and lethargy. These are all symptoms of a blockage.
Here is more on ant and roach traps
http://www.vetblog.net/2013/07/dog.roach.ant.trap.what.to.do.html
Here is more on obstruction
www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs
What I would do in case any of the chewed trap has sharp edges is give the dog a couple of pieces of whole grain bread, this will surround the pieces and keep them from doing damage to the intestinal wall.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.