Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog is pacing , panting and won't lay or sit very long.

Customer Question

My dog is pacing , panting and won't lay or sit very long. Keeps licking hind quarts and wanting to get to butt but cant
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Taz.
Well, a few considerations. Certainly, an insect bite or sting is a consideration for his discomfort. But, in that area, we also can't rule-out impacted or infected anal glands.
So, giving Tramadol, a pain medication, and carprofen, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory were fine to try.
But, if it is a allergic reaction, giving an antihistamine may be the most important.
Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.
Otherwise, if he is not responsive to any of these medications, than it is a slam dunk he must get in to a ER vet for an evaluation. If you do go to a vet make sure to tell them exactly what drugs you have given so far so it doesn't cause any complication with what the vet may suggest.
Good Luck!