Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 11 year old 139 pound Rotweiler mix has been taking for…

Customer Question
My 11 year old 139...
My 11 year old 139 pound Rotweiler mix has been taking for the past two months rimadyl (100mg twice daily), tramadol (50mg once daily until the last week at which time dosage increased twice daily) and over the counter human joint glucosimine/chondrotin tablets for over a year. Just in the past week we put him on cosequin DS. Our dog was placed on the meds because he was having extreme difficulty standing and walking with his back legs. For the past couple weeks or so we have had to assist him in getting up to walk. Then it progressed to assisting him up a stair or two to get into the house. Although he gets up to move short distances, he is having extreme difficulty with both his front and back legs. We are using beach towels to get him in and out of the house. He was urinating and having bowel movements until yesterday. We are waiting to see what happens today. He still eats and drinks water but his appetite has decreased the last couple days and he consumes quite a bit of water for being inactive. It seems to us that his time may be short.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/6/2015
Dog Specialist: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Rocky. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
He is pretty old for such a large dog.
If he seems to be drinking more water than usual, he may have kidney disease. Has he had any blood tests done recently?
Whenever an older dog slows down on eating, it can mean that they have a serious or even fatal illness like kidney failure, cancer, liver disease, etc. However, he may have something that could be treated, such as a bladder infection. I would need to be able to examine him, and do some basic blood tests, to tell you what his problem is, why he is eating less and drinking more.
He sounds like he has arthritis, and that can be a very serious problem in a large dog, just because they can't get up to eat or urinate or defecate, so they don't eat as well, and are prone to things like bed sores and bladder infections.
His time may be short, you may be right. I could tell you more, after doing a good physical exam and some blood tests. If blood tests have been done recently, do you have the results?
Let me know what else I can answer, what other questions you have.