Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I would like to breed my AKC certified Yorkie. He is three

Customer Question

I would like to breed my AKC certified Yorkie. He is three years old and we live in the DC metro area
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply. I hope you can be patient.
You stated your dog was akc certified Yorkie. You do mean that he has AKC registration papers, correct?
You did send the registration application papers in and get his registration?
Has he been tested to ensure he doesn't have a liver shunt or any liver dysfuntion?
Has he had any genetic health testing done?
Has he been shown in any AKC dog shows?
What are your reasons for wanting to breed him?
Ileana,
I was hoping for a response back from you, but if you responded, it didn't come through.
Let me address what I can though. I am assuming you were given a registration application when you bought the dog and turned it in and your dog is AKC registered. If it isn't then get those papers in as soon as possible. If you can not, then it will make it even harder to find a potential mate.
Most owners of female Yorkies want to find the best possible male for their female. This means a dog who has had health screening tests and certifications, been certified free of a liver shunt and liver disorder (Yorkies are prone to this). The other thing they look for is champion titled dogs and very tiny dogs that do not have a liver shunt.
Since most breeders are AKC breeders, they want an AKC registered sire. So what you are looking to do is offer stud service from you Male. You will need to state if he is AKC registered, possibly have his pedigree available for potential mate owners to check for any common ancestors and his weight. Many breeders will want him tested by your vet for sexually transmitted disease like Brucellosis that can cause early deliver, abortion and miscarriage of puppies late in a pregnancy. You can read more about this condition on the following site.
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/canine-brucellosis/3963
Once this is done, you can contact a Yorkie breed club in your area and ask them if they know of anyone looking for a stud. You can also advertise Stud service in places like your local newspaper and craigslist and even social media like facebook groups. Here is the webpage with contact information for the breed club in your area.
https://www.apps.akc.org/apps/club_search/index_master.cfm?club_id=2414
You might contact the breeders on this page to see if they might be interested in breeding their female to your male.
http://dogs.oodle.com/yorkshire_terrier/washington-dc-area/
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Hi Ileana,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?