Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog just have puppies about 4 hours ago and one of her puppies

Customer Question

My dog just have puppies about 4 hours ago and one of her puppies has a hole where she pulled the umbilical cord completely out and the puppy is getting cold and not eating what do or should I say what can I do to help her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is Jane. I've been working professionally with dogs in both the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
Unfortunately, if there is an open wound where the umbilical cord is, the pup needs to see your vet as soon as possible. This is an emergency situation though I have to tell you that it is likely your vet will recommend euthanasia for the pup. In many cases when this happens, bacteria enters the open wound and it leads to a serious infection.
Now if the umbilical cord was just chewed off too close and there isn't an open wound, then the pump might just end up with an umbilical hernia situation which you can read about here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2090&aid=442
From your description, though, it sounds more serious to me which is why I recommend the vet visit.
In the mean time, there isn't much you can do at home. You might put a tiny dab of karo or pancake syrup on her tongue to keep her blood sugar levels up and give her some energy. You should also keep her warm. The easiest way is to have an area where you put a heating pad on low and cover it with a towel. You need a portion that is not heated in case the pup gets too warm so they can move off the heated part. You will need to try and get her to suckle on mom if at all possible. Feeding her is fine, but watch to ensure she doesn't aspirate formula.
I want to also give you instructions on saving puppies.
http://showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/fading.html
To prevent this from happening, you can cut the cords yourself when a pup is born by crushing the cord between your fingers about 2 inches from the pup's belly then cutting it on the edge of the crushed area closest to mom which is away from the pup. This should leave a short stub which mom won't be as tempted to bother. You can give the rest of the cord and after birth to mom if you wish.
I do want to prepare you for the fact the pup may not make it. Unfortunately, this is part of the breeding process that we all hate. I currently have a litter where mom did the same thing before I could get to the pup and sadly the pup had intestines coming through and had to be euthanized. I just don't want to prepare you so hopefully you won't get too attached. I wished I could say that I didn't, but it seems the ones with issues are the ones I bond with the quickest.
I'm sorry there really isn't much you can do besides see the ER vet or your own vet if she makes it through the night. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Hi Alisha,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ivelon Walls. How is everything going? How are the pups?