Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is 4 yes old and has had a sudden onset of pains in…

Customer Question
My dog is 4 yes...
My dog is 4 yes old and has had a sudden onset of pains in her back end. What could be causing it? It started about 24 hrs ago and she whines when walking up stairs and getting up and then seems as if it goes away. She still wags her tail just not as high. When you touch her hip areas she starts to give a little growl and start shaking.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/5/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 3 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again Kristen and thanks for waiting.
I have worked out an answer for you below ...
1. I have seen many dogs present with similar symptoms where the final diagnosis ended up being some form of back problem. This ranged from simple muscular strain in the muscles of the back through to various forms of slipped disk situations. You would also consider inherited hip problems in GSD crosses.
2. If this is just a simple situation then many owners would try and handle the situation with strict rest for two or three days plus an anti-inflammatory drug such as aspirin. If this is just a simple muscular strain or sprain then with luck a couple of days rest and then a gradual return to exercise may well resolve things.
On a short term home remedy aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers and aspirin is in any case sometimes prescribed for dogs.
A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications etc. : LINK
3. Of course if your dog does not quickly improve or if you note any deterioration then you should have her checked over by a vet without delay.
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.
Regards,
Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.