Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dogs nails were falling out and bleeding I took him to the…

Customer Question
my dogs nails were falling...
my dogs nails were falling out and bleeding I took him to the vet earlier they wrapped up 3 of his paws and said to come back Monday after giving him antibiotics and steroids to treat him for possibly having lupis, but the foot they didn't wrap up is now bleeding and a nail is hanging off
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/5/2015
Dog Specialist: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I am sorry to hear about your dog. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
This sounds like "lupoid onchodystrophy", a form of lupus that only affects the toenails.
You could try removing the hanging nail. For bleeding, you can try hydrogen peroxide, ice packs, or direct pressure on the bleeding area.
There is a Chinese herb called Yunnan Baiyao that helps stop excessive bleeding. It is a capsule, found in stores that carry Chinese herbs, or online. You can give a dog the capsules by mouth and you can apply the powder inside the capsules to the nails.
Is he on doxycycline? It is an antibiotic with immune modulating properties, and can be helpful treating lupoid onchdystrophy.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?