How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 29764
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I accidently gave my 20 pound dog my 45 pound dogs Meloxicam

Customer Question

I accidently gave my 20 pound dog my 45 pound dogs Meloxicam it was a 7.5 mg pill.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
A one-time overdose isn't expected to cause serious toxicity but gastrointestinal distress is the most commonly reported adverse effect and so omeprazole at 10 mg and repeated tomorrow or famotidine (Pepcid) at 0.25 mg/lb twice daily for two days is reasonable for Clyde. The initial dose of meloxicam would be recommended to be 0.1 mg/lb or 2 mg for Clyde. Most dogs will tolerate a 3.75X overdose very well but watch for eating more or less than normal, vomiting, changes in bowel movements, changes in behavior or activity, weakness, and changes in drinking habits. These symptoms are more likely to be seen with chronic overdosing, however.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sherry,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Clyde. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin