Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

We have a 3 yr old female black lab who is part way through

Customer Question
her heat cycle. Probably...
We have a 3 yr old female black lab who is part way through her heat cycle. Probably 5 days since she stopped bleeding. We are trying to mate her with a friends 4 yr golden lab, who has never mated before. They have had three dates 2 hrs long at our place and their place. Now he has been staying over with our female for the last 24 hours in our pen. He is constantly licking her, standing up tall beside her, but does not mount. She will stand patiently for him and the lay down and rest. They are both very relaxed good natured dogs, but he seems very excited but frustrated. Should we help them get this together or just let it happen?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/3/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
I hear your concerns especially since the window of opportunity is passing quite quickly. The first thing is that the male has to be confident and dominant which usually only occurs when he is in his own territory, so the female should stay over at the males house instead of her home. The second thing is that she has to be in the right stage of heat which she should be as long as she does not have an abnormal heat cycle which I will discuss later.
Now some males just do not like a female that is still. So leash the female and walk her around him to see if that doesn't help him get the desire to mount her. Once he is mounted, you can let her stop. Now it still might take hours of him mounting and dismounting to actually.achieve the tie, but be patient.
The other thing you can do is consider artificial insemination, but for this you should move pretty quickly at getting an appointment or the necessary supplies to achieve this. Here is an excellent site on this.
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/theriogenology-5361/dog--white_2.htm
http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/reprod/semeneval/dog.html
And purchase kits from here:
http://www.equitainer.com/Canine/AIKit.htm
http://www.pinnaclepetsupply.com/ai-kits.htm
http://www.camelotfarms.com/other_products.php
Ai video that may help you achieve the artificial insemination.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxXlniylh5g
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
She has been o his place for a 2 hour date last week, with similar results. They were not confined, just running around and playing. She is not a very dominant dog, but he does not seem to have any dominance over her. Thanks, Sandy
JaCustomer,
2 hours is not near long enough especially since he is an unproven stud and never mated before. It doesn't matter that she isn't a dominant dog, in her own territory, she would be top dog. Some dogs also don't like being watched. I will often go inside and observe from a window. Also like I mentioned if she is standing still for mating, he may be one that likes a moving target. I've seen proven males that won't mount a female standing still.
It can take 5-6 hours for a successful mating to occur. I had a female at a males house for mating purposes and both were first timers. The male would not even attempt mating with us outside even though we were at least 100 feet from where they were playing. We went inside and weren't inside more than 5 minutes when they successfully mated and we were outside for about 4 hours before that. Many owners discourage a dog from mounting another when meeting them on walks and in parks, so often that will discourage mating while the owner is around as well.
If you feel they won't mate, call the vet and see how much he would charge if both dogs were brought in together for him to harvest the semen and do the artificial insemination. A fellow breeder's vet routinely does this for $100 though each vet sets their own prices. Some are more, some may be less. You might not have time to order kits for this heat cycle.
It seems to be our female that is the problem. When the male tries to mount her, she swings around and tries to nip him. She might be scared of the whole mating process because a neighbours shepherd was after her and we yelled at him on 3 different occasions with her there.
Jacustomer,
Another good reason to leash her and move her forward. If she is leashed, she can't nip at him. Putting a muzzle on her might help as well. She should be in the right stage of heat though from your description.
Hi Sandy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Harley And Delilah. How is everything going?
We tried again tonight, he's been staying over, but his owner came over tonight to encourage him, while we encouraged her. I played with both of them and had them walking and running all over our backyard. It almost happen, but Delilah balked at it. Tired us all out. He's staying over tonight and the owner is coming back again tomorrow for another session of play and rough-housing. Hopefully with lots of fun and encouragement it will happen.
Perhaps go to his house tomorrow. But in any case, if it doesn't happen this heat cycle, I'd plan on having the equipment on hand for AI next time or plan on AI at the vet.