Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My male border collie started dragging his bottom on Saturday.

Customer Question
Yesterday I check his bottom...
My male border collie started dragging his bottom on Saturday. Yesterday I check his bottom and found nothing. Today he has 2 large sores that are oozing blood pus.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/2/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Usually when a dog is dragging their behind on the ground or carpet and their anus area has a bad odor and swollen, it can be symptoms of an anal gland problem. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.
Excellent site on anal glands
http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html
Often if the problem isn't corrected by emptying the anal glands, they become infected and can rupture. It sounds like this has happened to you.
According to some research done the main reason dogs develop problems with their anal glands are due to being fed soft foods, table scraps and marinated foods which prevents the formation of firm stools which naturally help keep the anal glands emptied. Additionally the ingestion of non-food items, parasitic infections such as worms, and a genetic predisposition are additional factor in some cases.
For now, flush the glands (sores) well, disinfect the area with hydrogen peroxide 3% or betadine solution and apply some Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream to the area until you can have him seen. Some dogs seem to have less discomfort with the application of warm compresses. I would be sure he has firm bowel movements by adding some canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to his food so his stools are firm.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.