Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has a baseball size lump on her neck that is really

Customer Question
My dog has a baseball...
My dog has a baseball size lump on her neck that is really hard she does"st seem to be bothered by it and it has not grown. should i take her in to the hospital or can it wait till the morning and take her to her vet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/1/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
This could be swollen lymph gland, abscessed tooth or possibly an salivary gland problem depending on where on the neck it is. Usually with a salivary gland problem you will also see excessive drooling. It might also be an abscess from a bite wound.
Swollen lymph nodes can be due to many causes including infections, autoimmune diseases, fungal and bacterial infections and lymphoma (cancer). You can read about the lymphatic system in the dog here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/structure-and-function-of-the-lymphatic-system-in-dogs/page2.aspx
An abscessed tooth can sometimes cause lumps or swelling of the muzzle or jaw and upper neck. You will want to check your dog’s mouth and look for any broken or discolored teeth. If you find any, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain until your dog can be seen by your Vet. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen.
Check just under your dog’s jawbone for a swelling and under your dog’s tongue for a swelling. This is where some of your dog’s salivary glands are located. If you find a swelling here, it’s possible your dog has an accumulation of fluid near the salivary gland called a sialocele which is causing your dog to salivate more. This condition does require your dog to be seen as soon as possible. You can read about it here:
http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/sialocele.htm
A puncture wound can introduce bacteria under the skin that multiplies while the outer wound heals trapping infections under the skin creating an abscess. Usually the dog won't want you to touch it and it will be a little warm. Read about abscesses here:
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/abscess-in-dogs
Another possibility if it came up quickly is an allergic reaction to a bug bite or sting. That can cause a lump to form very quickly. Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours. REad more here:
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/emergency-trauma-urgent-care/allergic-reaction-to-insect-in-dogs
You will need to have your dog seen so the cause is identified and treated. As long as your dog is not having problems breating, is eating and eliminating normally, waiting until morning should be fine.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Hi Kendra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Betty. How is everything going?