Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has been limping, she weighs 22lbs. I gave her a 5mg…

Customer Question
my dog has been limping...
my dog has been limping, she weighs 22lbs. I gave her a 5mg liquid dose of children's tylenol. Is this safe?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/1/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Hello and thanks for requesting me Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.
I have worked out an answer for you below ...
1. Tylenol { Acetaminophen } is rarely used in dogs these days because of many reported incidents of side effects and toxicity. This drug is best avoided in dogs.
2. However the good news is that dose you gave { 5 mg } is actually quite low for a 22 pound dog so the chances are your dog will get away with this and no side effects will occur, particularly if this was a one off dose. Where Acetaminophen is prescribed by vets for dogs under special circumstances a dose rate of up to 10 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight can be used. This works out as a top dose of 220 mg for your dog, so really she should be just fine, but no more Tylenol !
3. You do have one over the counter drug you can reasonably safely use in dogs, Aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds.
A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.
Regards,
Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the tylenol.
How are things going? Please update me.
Regards,
Dr Scott
Hi Kelly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?