Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog was bitten by what my Vet believes was a spider. We

Customer Question

my dog was bitten by what my Vet believes was a spider. We do not know what type of spider. She started biting at her leg, we checked and took her to emergency hospital. ( 1030 PM) they put her on anti-bio's and Benadryl. I took her to my Vet 3 days later for a recheck. All looked normal but she continued her on the meds. Eight days later now, she still wants to get to the leg (can't hood on) but she has stopped urinating. Last time was 28 hours ago. Any connection. She is a healthy 4 year old standard poodle. thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about what happened to your dog. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Benadryl will help with an allergic reaction, but does not help with pain and inflammation. If it is bothering her, I would try a pain/anti inflammatory medication.
Is she eating and drinking? If she has not urinated in this long, that is concerning. Does she appear to be dehydrated? Here is how to check: If you look at her gums, are they pink in color? Gently pinch skin over the shoulders and let go, and it should go back into position in less than one second. If it takes longer, she is dehydrated.
If she is dehydrated, and not producing urine, then I would have her checked as soon as you can. I wish I could examine her, and see if I can feel a full bladder in her.
If her kidneys had stopped make urine, she would be a sick dog, not eating, not drinking, maybe vomiting. If her gums are pink, her hydration is normal, and she is eating, she is probably not in kidney failure.
It seems unlikely that spider venom from 8 days ago is making her sick now. I would expect it to affect her in the first few hour and then wear off. Still, if she is not urinating, have her checked to see if her bladder is at all full, and if not, have blood tests to check her kidney function.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer.