Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog a golden doodle 1/2 years just. Came to me tonight with

Customer Question
spasms and trembling it lasted...
My dog a golden doodle 1/2 years just. Came to me tonight with spasms and trembling it lasted about 30 minutes he was scared and me too
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
5/31/2015
Dog Specialist: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your young Golden-doodle Bengie who had a period of spasming and trembling tonight. As you can probably imagine, there are a large number of potential causes for Bengie's symptoms tonight. Typically if this were seizure activity, then Bengie would have been completely unresponsive to you, and this would only have lasted up to 1 - 2 minutes max. It is much more likely that this was due to a period of anxiety, a period of pain, or as a result of feeling nauseous or even just feeling 'different'.

Whatever the case - hopefully this has settled now. I would definitely recommend keeping a close eye on him for the next hour or so if you can. Just to be safe, please also have a quick look around your home to see if there is anything Bengie could have gotten in to (as we also have to consider a toxicity here). Hopefully he is now settled and sleeping. If not - then you can also quickly check his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If this spasming and trembling occurs again, please keep him warm and calm as you did before, but please also try to get some video of the behavior for your local vet as well. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Hi there,
How did you get on with Bengie? I hope he has improved and back to normal.
It would be great to get an update when you next get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian