Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog is only 4 and is always jumping and playing. But today

Customer Question

My dog is only 4 and is always jumping and playing. But today he all of sudden has no energy, is weak, can't keep his eyes open and he's losing weight but he's eating and he's right next to me just shaking and he won't eat or drink anything today but he normally does eat. Could it be heart worms?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He won't let anyone touch him to get him up he's flinching to much when we touch him but it looks like nothing is broken or out of place
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just would like to talk on here
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry but I am not available for a phone call but I would like to help.
There are a few things that ay be causing this. One is a serious infection that is causing a fever which makes him lethargic and not wanting to eat.
This breed that is so active can be prone to an unstable dis in his back or neck. Since Lucky does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain that is causing this lethargy and the shaking. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when he jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way.

The best thing you can do for now as long as Lucky is eating some, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize.

It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

INfection will need to be ruled out as well as other conditions.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****