Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My do hdog had a cyst on the rihgt of his anus yesterday. It…

Customer Question
My do hdog had a...
My do hdog had a cyst on the rihgt of his anus yesterday. It was soft. That evening it really hurt him and i held a warm compress on it. This morning he as better but sill licking the cyst. Now it has burst and there is a small hole in the center. What is it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
5/30/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did it appear like a lump on the skin or arising from underneath the skin?

Had he had the cyst for a while or had it just appeared recently?

Any history of scooting or dragging his bottom on the ground?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

It was a lump under the skin the way a blister would and appeared to be filled with fluid and it just appeared yesterday afternoon. He rarely scoots. I'll gry to get a photo.

Thank you,

If you can get a photo that would be grand.
Otherwise, based on your description, I suspect your lad has ruptured an anal gland. This happens if the gland becomes impacted or infected, as this narrows the duct making it harder for the body to express the gland when he passes feces as it should. And when this happens, some dogs scoot, some chew they back end (or anywhere they can reach), and others will show no signs until it ruptures and then be very sore with either a wound by the rectum or blood in their stool (if it ruptured inwards instead of out via the skin).

In this case, if we have an open wound, then it will need some care. Ideally, we tend to treat these cases with antibiotics to clear infection and dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, Previcox, Tramadol, etc) to take the soreness away. We find systemic/oral treatment more beneficial, since (as you can see) they tend to be too sore for topical treatment. As well, we tend to need to put an ecollar or reversed boxer shorts (so there is a hole for his tail) on these dogs to prevent licking and inoculating the wound with more bacteria. Therefore, while you can flush this with cool saline (salt water made at a dilution of 1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) and coat the open wound with OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin); it'd be ideal to see if his vet is open to dispense these for him. It isn't an emergency, but we don't want him to be painful over the weekend.

Overall, a sudden appearing cystic mass rupturing by the rectum is highly suspicious of an anal gland rupture due to infection or impaction. Therefore, we can use topical care but it would be best to get him on some antibiotics/dog safe pain relief to soothe this, prevent infection, and aid its healing (since they don't tend to need stitching) of this gland rupture.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian