Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I'm very concerned! My new puppy is whimpering

Customer Question
I'm very concerned! My...
I'm very concerned! My new puppy is whimpering and biting ONLY his right hip area! It's very odd that it's always the same spot and NOWHERE else! I do not see any fleas or other issues. No redness or swelling. Bc he's whimpering I'm not sure if I should take him to the vet. I've given him an allergy pill and it seems to help. I've also put an anti fungal cream on the area and that too seems to help. What could this possibly be? My other dog doesn't seem to be affected at all.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
5/30/2015
Dog Specialist: Candy, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Hello. I am sorry to hear Bodai is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions.
Is there hair loss in this area?
Does the skin look crusty or scaly ?
If you press in that area and move the hip around does he seem painful at all?
There is no hair loss or pain, no crustiness or scaly areas
Thank you.
If there is no hair loss and the skin looks completely normal then I am concerned that he is having pain in that are even if he is not showing it when you move his leg.
If he was itching it would be unusual to see only one spot and to have no signs of skin issues at all.
If the allergy pill seems to help then it may be itchy ( again odd not seeing any signs of problems with the skin) or the allergy med may just be calming him down enough that it is not bothering him.
I do think this is going to take a hands on exam to figure this out so I would give you vet a call on Monday and try to get him in.
Until then you can continue with the allergy pill. I am not sure what you are using but Benadryl is the one most often used in dogs and this is given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours.
I wish I could say for sure what was going on but with no skin involvement I am more inclined to think it is joint or bone pain of some sort.
Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help.
If you have no additional questions please take the time to provide a rating before exiting the site so that I am compensated by JustAnswer for assisting you
Ty for yr assistance and prompt reply. I value yr opinion and was really hoping to receive an answer that would help me. However, I DONT think that I've gotten an answer that would prompt payment on this issue.😞 . As I'm no better off now than I was prior to my question. However, I would be willing to try yr services again (if needed). Hopefully, it will turn out favorably for both of us. I don't want to say bad service, bc it wasn't! It was just NOT HELPFUL, Always and God Bless Letha

I am sorry you did not find my answer helpful. I only ask that you understand we are somewhat limited in this type of forum since we can not see the pet. I understand it is frustrating, you asked what it could possible be and pain in the hip area is my best educated guess since it is always the same area. If this was due to some type of skin infection the skin itself would tell us that. A fungal infection causes itchy crusty skin with hair loss. He is not displaying anything that points to the skin from the information you provided. If you would like I would be happy to request a refund for you since you have placed a deposit with JustAnswer.

One other thing you could try other then the allergy meds is baby aspirin. This is dosed at 5mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours. This should be given with food. If pain related this should help
Yes, Ty for yr response. I do understand that it's a limited forum! However, I was hoping f or a more concrete answer. Pls. Refund my deposit and Ty for trying to assist my lil boy☺️😘
Candy
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician