Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our 15 year old Chihuahua is licking the tile floor. Last time…

Customer Question
Our 15 year old Chihuahua...
Our 15 year old Chihuahua is licking the tile floor. Last time he did this he threw up. Is this a substitute for grass?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
5/30/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. Why is Che licking the tile? I'm going to be very suspicious that he might be feeling nauseated again and may be about to vomit. You saw that the last time he did this he did vomit. When a dog is feeling nauseated, they can lick / chew things that aren't normal for them. They do this as they think it may help to settle their stomach. When they don't normally eat grass and then do and then get sick, that is pretty much the same situation. The grass didn't make them nauseated most likely, they were already feeling that way. Could he be licking the tile as there is some residual material there or odor that is attracting him? That is the other consideration. A simple thing to do that may help him is to pull food and water for 6 hours to see if that helps settle his stomach. After that time, they can be started up again.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Che. How is everything going?