Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog was chewing on a avermectin baited ant trap. We took it away from them. They were c

Customer Question

My dog was chewing on a avermectin baited ant trap. We took it away from them. They were chewing on the outer portions where the ants enter the trap. What do I have to watch out for? I am not sure if he ingested any of it, but he did throw up twice, a yellow like liquid. He was still.jumping and playing around as usual otherwise.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Good news! This sort of this is almost always nothing to worry about ... 2. You see the active constituent of ant traps is actually almost always not that toxic to dogs { Especially avermectin } so normally even a small dog would have to eat the contents of quite a few traps before there were any toxic effects. These ant traps contains something like peanut butter to attract the ants and that's why dogs go for them. 3. When I answer a question like this I always like to give people a link which covers the subject so they can check the validity of my advice : LINK You cannot be too careful so keep an eye on your dog so if you see any symptoms of any sort at all then contact your local vet without delay, this would be very unlikely indeed though. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Pedro is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the ant trap.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.