Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Awatching a dog who takes 200mg tramadol/day . Need

Customer Question

awatching a dog who takes 200mg tramadol/day for pain. Need to cover one more day. can I substitute baby aspirin or acetaminophen?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for requesting me, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Acetaminophen and many of the other human over the counter pain killers are quite unsuitable for dogs because of many incidents of toxicity and side effects related to their use. Aspirin on the other hand is often prescribed for dogs and is relatively safe for the species, there would be no adverse drug interaction between aspirin and Tramadol by the way. 2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.