Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has a runny nose with yellow /discharge. Her breathing…

Customer Question
my dog has a runny...
my dog has a runny nose with yellow snot/discharge. Her breathing is shallow. Her appetite is good,but she is sleeping alot. The vet gave me lasik stating that it may be heart disease, but I think it is an upper respitory infection. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
5/27/2015
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 3 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Hello and thank you for requesting me.
A heart problem can fill the lungs and other body cavities with fluids. Lasik is given to try to reduce the fluids. However I am not a vet and I think if you are talking about congestive heart failure a Vet here would be best to talk to. Let me see who is online.
She is breathing fine, she just appears to have a snotty nose like she has a cold. She developed allergies really bad over the last couple of months since moving from California to Maryland. She has never been diagnosed with a heart problem before and has gone to the Vet regularly.
Some heart problems are not always diagnosed through a vet exam. There are things like A Fib where the heart is out of rhythm at times and that can be picked up on a quirk with a vet visit. Usually they don't bring out heart echo or ekg for a regular visit unless there is something they hear unusual.
What I am going to do because there is a possible heart problem and I want you to get the best answer possible is opt out so one of the vets here can pick it up.
My feeling is that colored mucus is indication of an infection which may need some antibiotics but I would rather you get an answer that covers all of what you are going through:) You will see an opt out by my name, do not reply to me, or a Vet will be locked out of the question.
I wish you the best.
Dog Specialist: Dr. Drew, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Hello, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.From your description, this does not at all sound like a heart problem requiring the use of Lasix (also known as furosemide).I agree with your suspicion that an upper respiratory infection may be present, with the additional possibility of lower respiratory involvement such as bronchitis or pneumonia. Lasix will lead to a thickening of the secretions in the respiratory tract, making it difficult to clear them and to manage the infection, if that's the issue.I strongly believe you need a second opinion from a different local veterinarian. From what you have described, I'm suspicious that the Lasix may not be appropriate to continue.
Thank you... I will do that. I was so what suspicious when Banfield wanted to charge me $600 for just testing. I asked for antibotics, but was told to try the lasix first.
Glad to help -- I think your suspicion was correct.
Heart disease is not something that should be guessed at... there are plenty of ways to confirm issues like that.
Agreed. Thank you.
you're very welcome. best wishes to you both.