Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My approx 7 yo female spayed German Short haired Pointer/Lab

Customer Question

My approx 7 yo female spayed German Short haired Pointer/Lab mix started swallowing hard and licking her lips last night about 9:30pm. We were in bed, quiet and reading and this just came on quite suddenly. I was ready to take her to emergency vet, however, the symptoms started to subside, very slowly. It took about an hour, perhaps longer. Do you have any ideas? I was going to schedule vet appt, but they are open only half day today. Thank you in advance. Chris and Rosie (the pup!)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today,
There are a couple of reasons why a dog would do this. One would be due to stomach upset and nausea. If you notice that he may be licking objects or trying to get outside and eat grass then that is a good indicator of upset stomach. If this is the case you can give a pepcid AC and I will direct you to a site with precautions and dosing.
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid
Lip smacking / licking can also be due to seizure activity and Labs are prone to epilepsy, even if they have never had a problem before it can be due to age. What I would do if the dog shows strange behavior like this again is video tape it with you phone so you can show your vet this action. I will also direct you to a site on epilepsy.
http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/basics/basics_index.html
(video) this site will show you a video of a partial seizure, scroll down to "Example of a focal seizure" In that paragraph click on where it says "here."