Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I just came home after 2 days of being away...my dog was laying

Customer Question

I just came home after 2 days of being away...my dog was laying on her side in a place she has never layed befoe. Her wate bowl was empty and she feverishly drank 2 1/2 LAEGE bowls and throwing it up immediately. Also, she has trying to have a bowel movement with no avail. She's very sleepy and her tail is between her legs and she is an axious dog when I'm gone. But not like this. She is 12 1/2. I think her fur is dry but not her skin for about a month now. I just tried to respond to more details but it wouldn't let me so I backed up...Toungs is dark red, gums are ok, doesn't seem to have a fever, I put my finger up about 2 or 3 inches but didn't feel any fecal, drooling on both sides of mouth.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She drinks a lot and urinates a lot normally. But this is totally different. We have have worse hot days and maybe she ran out of water early cuz I do have another dog. My Holly is 80 pounds. She eats kibble. Why would she collapse in a sot way out of nowhere? She is resting comfortabley now. Also her belly was bloated like a watermelon feel and now it seems tobe more 'squishy'.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She won't eat - not even her favorite snacks. She seems really tired. If I call the vet since it's a holiday, I will get a recording for an emergency vet out of town. Anything I cando to try at home or make her more comfortable? Massge - that calmed her down but should I massage her belly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know she's getting old, I know she has separation anxiety whenever I go out, I am never going to leave her again!
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I am so sorry to hear that your girl is not doing well. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.
What color are her gums and tongue? If you touch her gums are they moist/slippery or dry/sticky?
Was someone watching them while you were away and if so did they say whether she had been acting normal?
Is there any way you can take a rectal temp?
Is she spayed, if not when was her last heat cycle?