Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I was wondering if giving your dog a few spoons of yogurt every…

Customer Question
I was wondering if giving...
I was wondering if giving your dog a few spoons of yogurt every other day while she is in her cycle would help at all to lower the chance of Pyometra? Also since she is bleeding maybe a piece of liver or two also to help keep her iron up?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
5/25/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 3 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
no I am good just waiting for your input
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. The situation is the live natural yogurt is very good for dogs { and people } as a probiotic, very good for digestive function and it can often help in the case of gastroenteritis because it will inoculate lactobacilli bacteria into the digestive tract and restore the balance. Unfortunately it is not going to be any good in preventing or treating pyometra in the dog though. You see the underlying cause of pyometra in the dog is quite complex. It usually follows cystic endometrial hyperplasia which is a type of womb condition, this changes the internal environment of the womb and makes it prone to bacterial infections. Once the bacterial infection is established it goes wild and a full blown pyometra is the result. Cystic ovary disease can be part of the picture and related to the endometrial hyperplasia. 2. Giving small amounts of liver during her season is a very good idea though as this can help her body replace any blood loss. But larger amounts { Very large } amounts of liver can be toxic to dogs due to vitamin toxicity. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
So is there anything that can be give to the dog or do for them that lowers the possibility of Pyometra?
Hello again, Very glad to talk this over with you further ... Unfortunately there are no real measures you can take to reduce the chances of a female dog getting pyometra other than having her spayed. Spaying would be 100% effective in preventing this disease though. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.