Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

We have a year old pure bred Rotweiller, he has a hard time sitting down and walking, its

Customer Question
almost like he has arthritis...
We have a year old pure bred Rotweiller, he has a hard time sitting down and walking, its almost like he has arthritis in his hind end,I have had him to the vet several times only to hear he might just not be feeling well my dog ever since I got him at 6 weeks old has always been non stop now he has changed from totally active to not wanting to move he would rather pivot around in a circle than to get up and move around he also has gone from eating ALOT to not eating unless I hand feed him and he still does not eat like he should be maybe a cup or 2 if I'm lucky I'm heart broken he went from 130 down to 117 I can't watch this please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
5/24/2015
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 2 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to ensure I give you the best advice possible...
Has the vet done any x-rays of his hips?
What state do you live in?
Has he ever had tick exposure?
Do you know if the breeder had any problems in her lines?
Yes they did x-rays, ohio,no,no
I'm going to opt out and see if a vet can pick this up..please don't reply to me or you'll lock them out.
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You and I both know that a dog who loses that kind of weight isn't "just not feeling well". His anorexia and reluctance to move aren't pathognomonic for any one disorder but should prompt a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and additional X-rays including those of his hips and spine.
If those X-rays have already been taken and no pathology found, more systemic musculoskeletal or neurologic disorders should be considered such as polyarthritis (multiple joint inflammation), polymyositis (multiple muscle inflammation), and polyneuropathy (multiple nerve disorders). I'm sorry that I can't be more specific for you from here. I, too, would need to examine and test him.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I took my dog to emergency care last night I have had Rottweilers my whole life they are a very strong breed as you know when I was told my dog has torn both achellis tendons in both his back legs and he is only 1 year old I'm in shock he will have to have surgery on both and have steel reinforcements put in I'm so upset questioning what kind of life he will have after such a major surgery and I Dont want him to be in pain all the time little the cost starting at 5000 plus at this time being the holiday the hospital is not open until tomorrow so I'm just trying to keep him comfortable but just by moving his back leg at the joint the vet could tell this (second opinion is this how you tell if the acl is torn???
Oh my. Thank you for the update. You first mentioned Achilles tendons and, later, ACL ligaments. I believe you meant ACL tendons each time and, yes, we check for both an anterior drawer sign and/or tibial thrust sign when manipulating the stifle (knee) joints. These signs are pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of ACL tears.
ACLs are relatively common in Rottweilers who are conformed in a matter in which the hind legs are too "straight up and down" rather than having a more normal bend at the stifle joints. Surgery in the form of TPLO is recommended because it establishes a more normal angle between the femur and tibia/fibula while also stabilizing the stifles.
Yes, surgery is indicated and it's not unusual for such a surgery to run ~$3000/stifle. The prognosis post-TPLO is quite good, however. It's best that he be attended to by a specialist veterinary surgeon as can be found here: www.acvs.org. That surgeon will perform special X-rays which are then used to measure the current angles present in your dog's stifles and which will determine which of the many variations of surgical corrections should be considered. Administering a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam is indicated at this time. If you don't such a prescription drug available, you can administer aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb with food every 12 hours until he's attended to.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian