Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our dog has some bright pink coloration on her neck. It is…

Customer Question
Our dog has some bright...
Our dog has some bright pink coloration on her neck. It is not around her neck as I took off her collar. She doesn''t seem bothered by it at all. Not itching or licking and otherwise seems fine.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
It's a bright pink-bubblegum pink
5/23/2015
Dog Specialist: Candy, Veterinary Technician replied 3 years ago
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Hello. I am sorry to hear that your girl has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions.
Is this in the area where the collar was before you removed it?
Is the hair gone from that area?
Is the area oozing or scaly at all?
It was below where the color was and a little bit where her collar was, but mostly below. She is not scratching or licking the area. She doesn't seem bothered by it at all and is acting normally. We have had her for 7 yrs. She is rescue mutt- Besenji and greyhound mix. Looks like a fox with tan and white coloring.! It looks like someone stained her fur pink. I hope the picture will help.
Thank you very much for the pictures.
So it looks like it is just the fur that is pink and not the skin is that correct?
What type of collar are you using and what color is it on the inside?
I think so. I can't see her skin through her thick fur. Orange collar made of fabric she has had for 2-3 yrs. I took it off when I saw the pink today.
Ok from the pictures it does not appear as if the area is irritated at all. If this was some type of issue going on with the skin itself then I would expect to see some hair loss, itching, etc.
It looks more like maybe something got on the bottom edge of her collar and just stained the fur or the collar got wet and some of the coloring came out.
I would use some antibacterial soap and clean the area really well and try to get a look at the skin. If the skin itself is irritated I would shave the area with some human clippers clean daily and apply an antibiotic ointment. I would also leave the collar off for a few days so you can see it well.
I wish I could give you a for sure answer on what caused this but at this point it does not look to concerning.
I hope this helps ease your mind a little. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
If you have no additional questions please take the time to provide a rating to close out the question. Closing the question does not mean that you can not come back for follow up as the question is always open to you. It simply closes it on my end so I can assist other pet owners. I strive to provide excellent service so please reply back if I can be of additional assistance.
Thanks. I was wondering if somehow got a stain. Will try ckeaning and see what happens.
You are very welcome. Staining is what it looks like to me from the pictures hopefully it will just wash off for you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Candy