Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My puppy 17 wks is bleeding mucus like from her anus?

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
5/22/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 3 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or repy, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply. I hope you can be patient.
Is your pup eating and drinking relatively normally?
Has your pup been fully vaccinated?
When was your pup last dewormed?
Is your pup vomiting at all?
Patty,
I was hoping to get a response before I retired for the night but it looks like you have gone offline and I want you to have some answer and if you need more information or clarification, I can do that when I wake in the morning.
The most common reason for blood in the stool is parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. The most common worms found in dogs are: Roundworms, Hookworms, Tapeworms, and Whipworms and Heartworms.
In some cases these worms are passed from the mother to the puppy, in other cases such as tapeworms, they are contracted by other methods such as ingesting an infected flea. Most over the counter medicine will only kill one or two types of worms, so your best bet is to take a fecal sample to your vet to determine the type of worms your dog may have and then decide on treatment. Dogs should be checked for worms periodically even if they appear healthy. This is so if your pet does become ill, you are not fighting a worm infestation along with a more serious problem.
For additional information about worms, see this site
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html
http://www.truecompanionvet.com/site/view/124515_CanineIntestinalParasites.pml
Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Many heartworm preventatives also help control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.
Deworming should be done a minimum of twice, two weeks apart. This kills the adult worms and then any that hatch two weeks later before they mature and can lay eggs of their own.
Coccidia manifests as mild or severe diarrhea depending on how infected they are. If it is severe, there may be blood and mucous in the stool along with voming and loss of appetitie leading to dehydration You can read about it here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727
Information on giardia
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Symptoms of giardia are diarrhea with possible terrible smell, mucousy stool and sometimes bouts of vomiting.
Both coccidia and giardia are common in pups. Some vets will treat without testing since they are common.
Other causes could be anal growths, infected anal glands and inflammation within the large intestine. You can read about the various cause of red blood in the stool here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hematochezia-blood-in-stool-in-dogs/page1.aspx
If your dog is not fully vaccinated, you need to have your pup seen and tested to ensure parvovirus is not a factor. With parvovirus, you should be seeing vomiting and a loss of appetite as well. If your pup is eating and drinking, then it shouldn't be an emergency but I'd have your pup seen soon.
As I mentioned, if you need more information or clarification, then please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.