Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My name is***** have 2 westies, one boy one girl, not

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** have 2 westies, one boy one girl, not related she,s had 2 seasons now, on the first season I kept them apart, but on the second season I let them mate, they were never apart, however the male only ever seemed to mount her head not her back end, I never saw a tie and was wondering if a pregnany could still happen?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
If the dogs were never apart, then it is possible that they mated when you were out or asleep or just not looking. A tie can be anywhere from 5 minutes to as long as 45 minutes though normally it is about 15 minutes in length.
So it is possible she got pregnant when you weren't looking. Pregnancy in dogs is difficult to determine in the early stages. One sign is a vulva that does not completely shrink down--it stays soft and a bit more swollen than what is normally seen after a heat cycle. You may also begin to see a discharge that is sticky and dries quickly on the hair around the vulva. Around week four of the pregnancy you might notice a thickening and the start of weight gain and some swelling of the breasts.
Your Vet has a few different ways to determine if your dog is pregnant. They can run a blood test to confirm pregnancy based on hormonal levels. You can read about this test here:
http://absolutelypets.stores.yahoo.net/caprte5.html
http://www.gsdhelpline.com/preg.htm
They can also gently palpate the abdomen at about a month after breeding to feel for puppy bumps. They can perform an x-ray during the final week of pregnancy (8th week) and look for puppy skeletons. This method can give you a good idea of how many puppies your dog may have. Ultrasound may also be available at your vet and can help determine pregnancy in a dog. Once a dog reaches the 8th week of pregnancy, you can frequently feel the puppies moving around inside of mom. I find it best to have the dog on their side and feel between the rib cage and hindquarters above the breast area.
Puppies are born approximately 57 to 64 days after breeding with the average being 63 days depending on when ovulation occurred.
False pregnancy does occur in dogs and the symptoms are the same as if they were indeed pregnant. If in the fifth week following mating your dog is experiencing these symptoms, she may be pregnant and should be fed a high quality puppy food. I feed any female that has mated a high quality puppy food until it is determined they did not conceive.
I know you were looking for a sure-fire answer but it really is difficult.
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/theriogenology-5361/ultrasound.htm
I hope you found my reply helpful. If you need further clarification or more information, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.