Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Just doing some research on constipation with our dog.

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
meds prescribed...Cerenia, Sucralfate, and pepcid
5/14/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or repy, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply. I hope you can be patient.
Was an xray done or contrast study done to determine if a blockage was present beyond constipation?
No xrays or contrast. Only blood work done with results revealing nothing but dehydration. No reasons at that time suspect constipation or blockage. Visit to vet was Sunday, fluids given, upon returning home she ate a small amount of soft food provided by vet. Monday, lunchtime and dinner time eating of boiled chicken. Tuesday evening, turned away from chicken but ate unseasoned, plain beef cooked in no oils or fats. Today, would not each. Did give metamucil and got her to take, reluctantly, about 1/2 teaspoon puree pumpkin via oral syringe.
JaCustomer,
Be sure and read the important note below before trying any of these methods. If your dog is experiencing constipation on a regular basis you should add roughage to her diet such as canned pumpkin (not pie filling kind) or Metamucil on a regular basis. I know you have tried this but what I'm suggesting is preventative for future problems with this.
For now, a one time use of a half spoon of mineral oil on her food can also be used but should not be used all the time.
There are two methods I use for young puppies, which may work on your dog. I first try lubricating a rectal thermometer and take the puppies temperature. This frequently stimulates the puppy into going. It works for adult dogs as well. If this fails and you have a nasal bulb syringe (aspirator), you can put warm water in it and gently squeeze a small amount into the rectum and see if this doesn't help.
You can use a children’s glycerin suppository depending on the size of your dog but the other methods are what I recommend you try first. For a tiny dog like this, an infant glycerin suppository would be more appropriate.
IMPORTANT NOTE If your dog ate a non-food item, bone or rawhide recently or if your dog is experiencing other symptoms such as vomiting, severe abdominal pain, the dog needs to see a vet again to rule out an obstruction which you can read about here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx
if your dog becomes dehydrated. You can tell by pulling up the skin between her shoulder blades and seeing if it flows back down normally. If it stays tented or is slow to return to normal, your dog is dehydrated and needs fluids immediately and should see a vet as soon as possible. Tacky gums also indicate dehydration.
If gums and tongue become pale and not a normal pink color or the rectal temperature is over 103F (101-102F is normal) or your dog becomes lethargic and non-responsive, your dog should also see a vet as soon as possible.
If none of my suggestions help, you really are going to need to have her seen again and have some imaging done to determine if a blockage is present. I hope you found my reply helpful. If you need further clarification or more information, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.