Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a female old English Bulldog. At the base of

Customer Question

Hi Jane. I have a female old English Bulldog. At the base of her tail i noticed some swelling and she keeps licking as if she was grooming herself.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Jane is not online at this time so it will be my pleasure to help you.
IF she is licking it may be the site of a hot spot, yeast, fungal, or there may be a flea allergy. A flea allergy can be caused by the flea saliva so it does not mean your dog is full of fleas, it only takes one. It can also be due to nerves or boredom.
What I would do is get a comfy cone so the dog does not have access to the spot because the more she licks it the more of a problem it will become.
You can find a comfy cone on line or you can get a regular dog e collar at a pet store.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sally

Could this be a ananl gland problem?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
If she is licking the anus then yes. I thought you said the base of the tail which I take to mean the top of the back where the tail meets.
IF there is an anal gland problem she would probably also scoot, but you can take a look at the glands and see if there is any swelling or redness. If her stool is soft that can cause a gland problem and in that case as long as it is just that they need some expressing you can give some canned pumpkin to firm the stool. IF they are too swollen then you will need to have them expressed by your vet.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Becky,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dan Khollman. How is everything going?

Sally G.