Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a three-year-old rescue (40 lbs). Yesterday, she was

Customer Question

I have a three-year-old rescue (40 lbs). Yesterday, she was vomiting profusely and had diarrhea. I took her to the emergency vet who gave her an injection to stop the vomiting as well as Metronidozle. The vet. also gave her fluids. That worked, but it is two days later and my dog is not eating or drinking. I have another appointment on Monday. What is the next set of tests that the vet. should run?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your girl. In her situation, it would be very beneficial to use another physical exam and then based on that a blood chemistry profile, CBC and x-Rays to get a very good baseline of information to evaluate. Once all that is obtained, then further testing could include a stool evaluation, abdominal ultrasound or a urinalysis. If she isn't eating or drinking at this time, I would put out the recommendation of an ER visit as they can get more information now rather than waiting.