Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 90lb Golden has what appears to be hot spots by his

Customer Question

Hi. Our 90lb Golden has what appears to be hot spots by his testicles. The hair color is maroon and he is licking the area. What should we do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Hot spot and various forms of eczema and dermatitis are not uncommon in that site in male dogs. If they are fairly small patches then I have known owners successfully handle the problem in the following way : Wash the area with warm salt water twice a day and then dab it dry with some clean kitchen paper, then apply " human " hydrocortisone cream which you can buy over the counter. You may want to do this twice a day for a week or so. 2. It is often well worth trying a simple home remedy first, but of course if things do not improve or if you note any deterioration it would be best to have your vet take a look as sometimes there is no option other than prescription drugs. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Kota is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the skin condition.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.