Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Onr of my three,dogs died today. I want to know what to expect

Customer Question
when the other two who...
Onr of my three,dogs died today. I want to know what to expect when the other two who don't love each other. URGENT!! (###) ###-####!!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
5/8/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is Jane. I have worked professionally with dogs in both the health and behavioral fields for 18+ years. I do need to ask for additional information. It will take me some time to type up the response once I get your answers.
the 12 year old dog died?
What ages are the other dogs?
What sex are they?
What do you mean that they don't love each other?
Which dog that is left is most dominant?
My name is***** heart is totally broken for my Zimera (Zimmy) who died today. I shall do the best I can.....12, the other living dogs are 10'and 15. Very healthy. All males. Not neutered.Ogden, my Bishon is the king pin. He loved Zimmy so much and doesn't get that he's gone. My guys think that he's at an extended trip to the groomer.Ogden is not in love with CC. He tolerates him but that's about all.
So beyond heart broken!!!
Sorry for the delay in my response. My computer is acting up a bit.
I do want to give you my condolences. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet. Zimmy knew you loved him. It is heart breaking to watch a pet grieve for another one, especially when you are grieving yourself. I know how you feel exactly as I watched 3 of my dogs search for a dog of ours that had died. They also were depressed and subdued for about a week before they snapped out of it.
You can help your dogs and yourself by going places new like a park or pet store where your dogs can be stimulated. Spend extra play time with your dogs as one of their companions is gone and not only does your dog not know what's going on, but your dog senses your feelings as well. Many times the surviving dog picks up on the human's feelings of grief and will continue to grieve along with the human members of the family.
Your dogs will adjust with your help, it will just take a little while, like it will for you. As you recover from the loss, so will your dogs. If your dogs' grieving behavior continues much beyond a couple of weeks, I would have him seen by your vet to ensure there is not a medical condition present causing the illusion of grief. Your vet is also able to prescribe a tranquilizer as well if necessary.
You do need to know that if you comfort your other dogs when their behavior is needy or attention seeking, it encourages the behavior. You will want to show him attention and give treats when he is acting normally. I am so sorry for your loss and know that it does affect us quite a lot when we lose a beloved pet.
The other good thing is that if you take the two remaining dogs to places where there are other dogs but keep them a little apart from them, it will draw the two remaining dogs closer together. You should notice a difference in how they interact as the next couple of weeks go past. The more normal you can act, the more normal the dogs will.
Again, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost 2 in the last couple of months and was devastated as well. I've learned though to grieve away from the other dogs as much as possible.
I hope this helps in some small way.
Thanks luv. It's hard because I work from home and my other two guys see me crying all the tome. I will do my best. A trip to the park sounds good!!!
JaCustomer,
I do know how hard it is. When one of my beloved dogs died unexpectedly at 3 years of age, I was devestated and cried on and off for for a week and my husband thought a new pup would stop my crying. It didn't stop the pain, but it did give me something else to focus on so I wasn't thinking about her passing so much. I'm not suggesting a new pup but just recommending finding some new activities to get your dogs and your minds thinking about other things.