Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I have a terrier who is 10 years old and has rapidly

Customer Question

Hi, I have a bull terrier who is 10 years old and has rapidly developed a very large and very hard lump under her skin. It's located at the base of the tail to the right, and is clearly pushing on her tail. The base of her tail is also very hard and it's difficult to tell but it looks swollen. She doesn't seem to be in pain, if I touch and push the lump she seems to react as though it is uncomfortable but not in pain. It definitely looks as though it is originating from the top of her tail from her spine and has grown large under the skin and is now pushing on the side of her tail. Also the skin just above her anal opening is very hard to touch. She seems to be able to go to the toilet without trouble. I have been to the vet who didn't seem to be too worried about it though it has gotten larger, and he advised that it couldn't be operated on as it is far too close to her anal opening. I understand diagnosis is impossible online, I wasn't able to be at the vet visit in person so received second hand information and wondered if I could receive information on what this could possible be.
It looks swollen but the skin is rock hard and the mass appears to be very deep in her skin, you definitely can't put your hand directly over the area, it almost curves around the top of the tail and down the side of the base of the tail.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can also send a photo if this would help
Expert:  Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.
Okay, I am going to be honest with you. This is very concerning, and I suspect a cancerous process. I would be really surprised to have any vet look at it and say it is not a problem. I would want a vet to stick a needle into it and submit some slides to a pathology lab to determine what the mass is, and then go from there. If it is cancerous, it may be true that it is inoperable, but I would want a SURGEON to make that decision, not a regular vet. I consider myself to be pretty good with a scalpel, but I would not attempt this surgery, but there are many surgeons who would be able to do it. And I would have a lumbar spinal x-ray taken to see if this is originating from the spine, or just from the soft tissue around the base of the tail. So those are the next two steps I would take, and I would not accept an answer of "I wouldn't worry about it."
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.