Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Would physical discipline (not assault) cause my puppy from

Customer Question

would physical discipline (not assault) cause my puppy from the humane society stress?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
JaCustomer,
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
Who physically disciplined your puppy?
How old is your pup?
Is your girl spayed?
What obedience training has she had?
Why do you think she is under stress?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
-I physically discipline her
-roughly 8 months old
-yes
-she is almost fully trained (no way would i let her off the leash)
-she just seems not as excited as she used to be, shedding, loss of appetite, I have also started crate training her for the past 4 weeks which we have been making strides with, but she just seems off and nervous not like shaking or anything
Thanks for the additional information.
Dogs should not be physically reprimanded. It does create a dog that feels that physical reprimands are ok and their only way of physically reprimanding someone is to bite. This leads to dogs who think it is ok in certain circumstances to bite. If you use non physical reprimands like low toned "NO"s it teaches them that physical reprimands are not acceptable.
A dog lives in the moment. You can teach a dog not to do something, but the dog has to be caught while they are exhibiting the unwanted behavior. For instance, if you catch them squatting, you can give a short tug on a leash to get their attention and a firm LOW TONED NO (growl like). The dog learns that squatting inside is unacceptable to you. In addition, you reward the desired behavior by give a hot dog sliver when the dog acts in an acceptable manner.
If the dog has already eliminated and you take the dog back to the spot and reprimand it (either verbal or physical) the dog doesn't know why you are reprimanding her. Most dogs seem to end up thinking you don't want to find it so they start hiding where they eliminate. But most dogs just feel you are reprimanding them for some unknown reason. If you are physically reprimanding them , they have no clue why and learn that you might strike them at any time for no reason which causes confusion and definitely causes stress.
Your dog should trust you. A dog depends on their owner to feed them and to protect them. When you hit a dog even if it is not hard, they can't trust you and the dog usually ends up being unstable over time when treated in that way.
Let me give you some sites that discuss positive training methods. The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
Clicker training is also a positive based training method which you can read about here:
http://www.clickertraining.com/get-started
She should be maturing but most don't calm way down until they are about 18 months. Shedding is normal this time of year, but a loss of appetite isn't. Have her checked for parasites. She is at the age where they frequently have recontracted worms. Owners are frequently good about deworming when they are pups, but forget that it needs to be done periodically. I recommend every 6 months or at least once a year.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Iggy. How is everything going?